I love baking and I love making DIY stuff so I decided to combine it for my favorite holiday and make things geared for the holidays. The first recipe is for a simple hot chocolate mix in a mason jar and I thought this was cute because hot chocolate is just so comforting in the winter. All the recipient has to do is pour the contents of the mason jar into a mug and add hot water. The second recipe I have is an easy m&m chocolate chip cookie that all the recipient needs to do is add butter and eggs to make cookies. The third recipe is simply if you prefer to gift actual cookies and not the mix to make it easier for your loved ones. Hope you enjoy 🙂
Mason Jar Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Ingredients to make one serving:
- 3 tablespoon hot cocoa mix
- 2 tablespoon instant dried milk
- Crushed peppermint candies
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- 8 oz mason jar
- Gift tags
- Gift ribbon
- Mini funnel (you can find this at the dollar store)
- Layer the ingredients in the following order: hot cocoa mix, instant dried milk mix, peppermint candies, mini chocolate chips, and mini marshmallows. After I add the hot cocoa and dried milk, I add enough peppermint patties to create roughly a half inch layer and then just add a handful of chocolate chips and marshmallows until I reach the top. You can crush the peppermint patties or just put it in as if to still add the flavor to the hot chocolate. I find it easier to use a funnel for the hot cocoa + dried milk to make it even and layered. Shake to even it out after each addition of ingredients.
- Add a decorative ribbon + gift tag.
- Write directions on gift tag to pour into cup/mug and add 10-12 oz of hot water as desired. (less water = richer chocolate taste)
Mason Jar Holiday Cookie Mix
This recipe is only the cookie mix in the mason jars and not the actual cookie so the recipient does not have to eat right away and can save it to when they are in the mood to bake. Read the recipe right under this if you want to make the cookies 🙂
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (you can use regular flour as desired but FYI these cookies taste grainer and healthier with whole wheat flour and that’s my taste preference.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (I use less sugar because I prefer a healthier cookie but if you want it sweeter than add more)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips (you can use whatever flavor you want and add as much as you want)
- 1 cup holiday m&m’s (add more if you like)
- Layer the ingredients into the mason jar in the following order: flour, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and m&ms.
- Decorate the mason jar with ribbon & gift tag.
- Write directions on gift tag: add 1 large egg & 1 stick of softened butter to mix. Roll into 1 inch round balls and bake in oven at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. Servings: 12-16 depending on how big you make the cookies. Easy peasy 🙂
M&M’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Take the ingredients from the previous recipe and add 1 stick of softened unsalted butter & one large egg. Mix until even.
- Let dough chill in fridge for about 30mins to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a nonstick cookie sheet or use parchment paper/cooking spray.
- Roll one inch balls in hands and top with m&m’s as desired or used desired cookie cutter. Spread out evenly. You can make 12-18 cookies, depending on how big you want it. I find it easier to flatten the cookie dough on top before putting it in the oven because whole wheat flour doesn’t spread like regular enriched flour in my opinion.
- Bake for 12 mins.
- Take out and let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to cooking rack to cool.
- Serve with milk to enjoy to yourself or put them in a treat bag to gift to others 🙂 If you’re giving it as a gift, please let cookie cool completely before packing it into a sealed bag. I put a coaster down in a plastic gift bag for support and to hold the cookies up. I got a pack of 8 cardboard holiday coasters at Target for $1.